Saturday, January 11, 2014

Starting Over

I went to the gym this morning and ran for the first time since December 2nd.  I walked for about 15 minutes and then ran a mile.  Then I walked for 5 more minutes on the treadmill, followed by 5 minutes on the stairclimber. The stairclimber kicked my butt. Just 5 minutes on the stairclimber made me huff and puff more than running 5K.  Holy smokes.

Shockingly, I am not nearly as out of shape as I anticipated.  I ran a mile without any breathing problems.  I felt some pain in my shin, but not much at all.  The woman at Running Fit who sold me my new shoes suggested that I move my inserts to my shoes (Superfeet: Berry), since I hadn't worn them for very long. I think that they are actually causing me to land funny, so when I go back tomorrow (!!) I will run without them and see how that goes.

I wore my RoadId because it has a "13.1" badge and I thought it might remind me how far I came last year and how important it is to me to keep at it.  But, thankfully, it also reminded me that I want to run a marathon and that overdoing it today could jeopardize that.  I also tried telling myself, "I am a runner."  I didn't believe it, but I will someday.

I probably shouldn't have run a full mile because I am feeling very very slightly sore in the trouble spot on my shin, but it isn't bad at all and I will ice and elevate it and run less tomorrow.  I'll use the stair stepper for a few minutes instead and hope that I don't collapse when I am done. I wish I had a doctor telling me what I should be doing....

No comments:

Post a Comment